Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Lovecraft On-Line

Now and then I've mentioned or alluded to Howard Phillips Lovecraft, the inter-war era New England writer of horror and fantasy. Today I discovered that almost all the man's fiction and poetry, along with a few essays and letters, is available on-line in both HTML and neatly laid-out PDF format. Great for reference purposes and as reading matter when travelling with a computer.

If you're new to Lovecraft, I suggest you start with his stories The Outsider (it's gospel to us geeks) and The Strange High House in the Mist.

[More blog entries about , , , ; , , , .]

5 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Hmmm, I've never read any of Lovecraft's work - not a big fan of fantasy. Loved horror when I was a teenager but haven't read anything decent in years. I will give it a look! Thanks Martin.

17 August, 2006 14:33  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

Fellow geek here...I haven't read Lovecraft for ages, but was in big discussion with him woith a horror fan the other day. Isn't it amazing what you can read on-line.

I am currently reading rememberance of Things Past. A lot of people don't like reading novels online, but I am okay with it. I read pretty fast...plus, since I am often away from home, I can still participate in my online book club and read...it's so cool.

I have read several plays by Shakespeare online, Charles Dickens at least two of his online. And of course, as I mentioned to you the other day, Hamlet's Mill.(but it doens't include the appendix which is brilliant and must be read)

17 August, 2006 16:34  
Blogger Martin said...

Karen: Don't forget to blog about your imressions when you've looked into HPL!

C. Minx: My wife loves Proust, she recently started on her second trek through Remembrance.

I've only read one novel on-screen, but I suppose once I get a handheld with a large enough display, I'll be doing it all the time.

17 August, 2006 20:17  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

Hey martin...

why not suggest to your wife she visit www.constantreader.com


there is a big discussion there about Rememberance, which I am catching up on right now...

We are always looking for new participants!

17 August, 2006 22:19  
Blogger Martin said...

I'll tell her. Thanks for the tip!

18 August, 2006 08:40  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker