Friday, July 28, 2006

Tech Note: Qtek 9100 PDA Improvements

I've spent nearly six months with the Qtek 9100 Pocket PC, and I'm very happy with it. I use it for a variety of purposes:
  • Phone
  • Camera
  • MP3 player
  • E-mail
  • Web browser
  • Geocaching database
  • Word processor
  • Calculator
  • E-book reader
  • Games
  • Flashlight
Really not bad for something the size of a soap!

But of course it could be improved. Here's a list of things I'll be looking for in my next handheld.
  • Better wifi antenna. The one in the 9100 only lets you connect when you're sitting nearly on top of the router.
  • Better camera and/or camera control software. The one in the 9100 sucks spectacularly.
  • Better touch screen accuracy. The 9100 and I quite often do not agree about exactly what part of the screen I'm touching with the stylus.
  • Hardware key lock button. Getting the machine out of key lock mode with the aid of the touch screen and a fingernail is tiresome.
  • Full-screen time & date readouts when in sleep mode. The 9100's readouts are tiny and invisible in sleep mode.
  • Standard USB drive capability. In order to get stuff off from and onto the 9100, I need to install ActiveSync from Microsoft on the host machine. I just want to plug and play on any machine I happen to sit at.
Update 29 July: How could I forget? There's one more thing I want in my handheld:
  • A GPS navigator.
[More blog entries about , , , , ; , , , , , .]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker