Sunday, May 07, 2006

Science Fiction Paperbacks

Today I attended the sale of the late Åke E.B. Jonsson's science fiction library. I didn't know the man, but he clearly loved to read sf paperbacks, and he seems to have been very open-minded about their level of literary pretention. SEK 50 (€5, $7, £4) bought me eleven paperbacks. Lots more can be had from the Swedish SF Society to which Jonsson bequeathed the books.

I got four of David G. Hartwell's excellent anthologies, two Fritz Leiber, Heinlein's Harsh Mistress, Howard & Carter's King Kull, Keyes's Flowers, Spinrad's Iron Dream and Aldiss's Saliva Tree. With a Michael Allen and the new LeGuin on their way to my mailbox, I look forward to my summer reading with confidence.

[More blog entries about , , ; , , .]

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There was an 'Iron Dream' there?

And I missed it?

Grrr...

/Akhôrahil

08 May, 2006 14:09  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(I was very pleased to find the rare and hilarious Dune Encyclopedia, though.

/A)

08 May, 2006 14:14  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damned, if I lived in Stockholm i would have bought some books
Vitnir

09 May, 2006 15:12  
Blogger Martin said...

Akkie baby, you can have the Spinrad when I'm done with it.

09 May, 2006 22:29  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, Carolina trumped you in my biblioenvy by finding herself the full Tanith Lee "Death's Master/Night's Master/Illusion Master/Something else-master" series.

/A

10 May, 2006 16:32  
Blogger Dead Hippie said...

Right on!

Is it just me or is the cover art often far superior on some of the older editions?

I just scored a 1953 copy of Sturgeon's "More Than Human" and the cover could have been drawn by Raymond Pettibone!

Happy reading!

12 May, 2006 04:24  
Blogger Martin said...

Thanks!

The weird thing about genre fiction is that the covers are uniformly awful regardless of the contents. Highbrow or hackwork, they all look like crap.

12 May, 2006 08:36  
Blogger Dead Hippie said...

I know of what you speak---some of that post-modern stuff is just plain stupid.

Have you seen the Vintage reissue of PKD's "Man in the High Castle"?

Call me unenlightened, but I've yet to fathom what the HELL the cover artist is trying to convey or what relevance it has to the book...

13 May, 2006 20:17  
Blogger Martin said...

A lot of really crappy cover art is bought on the cheap from artists who knew nothing about the book whose cover it would "grace" when they committed it. A famous case is the first Lord of the Rings paperback in the 60s that had something looking like a psychedelic pink fleshy Christmas tree on its cover.

14 May, 2006 15:09  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker