Thursday, February 23, 2006

Welcome, Danish nationalists

Members of Skadi and Nordish Portal, web forums for Danish nationalists, race enthusiasts and hard-core neo-Pagans, have discovered Salto sobrius. Welcome, everyone! Denmark is great! Et yndigt land! Particularly Danish archaeology and archaeologists.

But I should perhaps tell you guys that neither my first nor my second wife is of pure-blooded Germanic extraction, nor by extension my kids. And although my own recorded ancestry is composed entirely of Swedish farmer stock, my looks are basically Mediterranean.

Oh, and I don't believe in nations. Or gods. And I think the idea of racial purity is fiction, particularly in areas like Scandinavia where slaves were imported on a large scale until less than 1000 years ago.

But still, I think we can agree that Denmark is a really cool place. Hope you enjoy the blog!

[More blog entries about , , , , ; , , , , , .]

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think racial purity is a crock too, but then, I live in the US, where nearly everyone is a mongrel. I think to some degree that engenders a desire to find out who your ancesters are, and to find some neat identity for yourself. When I was in the UK a few years back, I was trying to track down some of that part of the family (We have dribs and drabs of English, Irish and Scottish blood, as well as French, German and Scandinavian, and reputedly a bit of Native American, but who knows with that one), and I realized what a ridiculous quest that was, as most of the folks there are all mixed up too. Just from an earlier point in history. So I forgot about it.

23 February, 2006 18:08  
Blogger Martin said...

Haha, yeah, other Americans are often really cute about their ancestry, saying things like "My name is O'Riordan, so I'm Irish". But ancestry is a web, not a line. Four generations back, everyone has 16 ancestors. And very few people know exactly what these people were like in their case. So identity dissolves into a nebulous common humanity if you look hard at it.

Genetic and cultural mixture is healthy. My kids are beautifully cosmopolitan.

23 February, 2006 18:53  
Blogger Morelli said...

Oh Eloquence! well said!
yours/ morelli

24 February, 2006 21:47  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker