Friday, November 24, 2006

Flu Shot

I just had my annual flu shot. The district nurse is always surprised that someone young and healthy like me would want one. The vaccine is mainly intended to keep old people from dying of flu complications. But I feel that if a €15 shot can significantly improve my chances of avoiding a week of flu later this winter, when I would feel like hell and be unable to work, then I would be stupid not to take it.

I got a funny comment from the nurse this time. She said the vaccine supply is poor this year, so strictly speaking they should save the stuff for the old people. "But", she said, "since you've been taking these shots every year and believe in them, we find it hard to say no to you". Believe in them?! I bloody well hope they're giving me something that works regardless of my beliefs!

[More blog entries about , ; .]

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The placebo effect sure does sound like an effective way to prevent flu, eh.

//JJ

24 November, 2006 11:23  
Blogger Karen said...

Never had a flu shot and only had the flu once in the past few years (last year). I'm not big on vaccinations.

24 November, 2006 16:17  
Blogger Miss Gillette said...

Faktum är att placebo/nocebo har inverkan på hur god verkan läkemedel -- nu avser jag skolmedicin och inte örtdekokter och kristaller -- har på patienten. Verkan har medicinen i vilket fall som helst, men om man får den av en läkare som man anser vederhäftig och om man tycker sig få ett gott bemötande av läkare och annan personal, så tar den bättre/snabbare. Och omvänt tar den sämre/långsammare om man känner sig osedd och som en belastning hos en stressad läkare som sneglar på klockan hela tiden och inte verkar veta vad h*n pratar om. Detta i alla fall enligt apotekets tidning.

Själv är jag ju tämligen övertygad om att graden av ens sjukhet är starkt avhängig ens lust/behov av att vara frisk/sjuk, så jag köper det där med placebon och nocebon också.

24 November, 2006 22:17  
Blogger Martin said...

Flu vaccination takes place weeks or months before the annual epidemic reaches an area. I don't think the placebo effect is smart enough to remember the shot once it's time to fight the virus.

25 November, 2006 09:35  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker