Friday, December 16, 2005

Choose your crime

My wife is researching a piece on stranger rape. (By far the most rapes are committed by someone the victim knows, but this is about the guys who hang out in parks at night, waiting for female joggers). Turns out that if I wanted to get away with a serious crime, then stranger rape would be a pretty good choice. Only 8% of reported cases in Sweden ever reach court, and there's reason to believe that this figure is even lower if the rapist is an indigenous Swede like me.

Anyone could get away with stranger rape. It's hard for the police to find the perpetrator when there's no link between him and the victim apart from the crime. But then again, I don't think I would be anatomically capable of it, even if I did become sick enough to want to try. Not sure who would be the lesser turn-on, a non-consenting woman or a consenting Danny deVito. And I don't know any fighting moves. I'd probably just end up getting my balls kicked and my eyes clawed out.

No, I'd better look for some kind of white-collar crime that pays well. That sort of thing doesn't involve any unreliable anatomy. And my wife would probably much prefer it. Too bad I don't know anything about the stock market.

[More blog entries about , , ].

3 Comments:

Blogger Luka(s) said...

Your´e probably very right in beliving you could never rape a person,Martin.:-)
But I think it´s a personality-"problem" more than a body-"problem". After all, you don´t need more than a functioning hand and a bottle to rape anyone. It´s the brain and the personality that goes with that brain who makes you a non-criminal. Some crimes are probably related to the possibility to commit them, as some white-collar tax-crimes for exampel, but I really do hope rape and other sex-crimes has more to do with the person than the situation. Because I don´t feel comfortable with the tought of all men being potential rapers.

18 December, 2005 23:16  
Blogger Martin said...

You mean there are guys who hang around parks at night, all limp, clutching bottles, waiting for someone they can try to ram the bottle into? Goodness, you're right, I'm such an innocent!

19 December, 2005 14:29  
Blogger Luka(s) said...

Maybe it´s not so bad being innocent about these things. Might give you nightmares,knowing to much about sex-crimes and the way we deal with them in society. If yu don´t care about that, I do recommend "Flickan och skulden" and "En riktig våldtäktsman" by Katarina Wennstam.She´s a swedish Gitta Sereny I would say,in her way of writing exact as the criminaljournalist she is and in the same time tell us some very unpleasant truths about our society and our way of treating victims as quilty and causing crimes. Bottles are only the firstname in some cases, apperently.

19 December, 2005 21:47  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker